Monday, August 27, 2007

So how are you feeling today?

I realize this is a normal part of being pregnant but how do you answer people when they keep asking 'so how are you feeling today?'. Most days I feel as if I may puke, pass out and pee all at once. Maybe while eating a turkey. But people don't want to know that. They want to hear you are doing just fine. I'm sure they also don't want to hear that my bra is too tight and my ulcer is going nuts thanks to the acid reflux I think is starting.

So why then ask? To be polite I'm sure. The thing is that it is hard for a pregnant women to just leave well enough alone. We want to spill all the details and gush about what the baby looks like now and each symptom. More so if it's her first. I know for most of the women I talk to it is because they want reassurance that everything they are going through is totally normal and they'll be just fine.

Even I hate hearing about it all the time. I don't always want to know how I'm doing on those days the bathroom is a dear friend and the only thing I can think about eating with out violent illness is a box of cereal.

Of course if you voice that to a women who's already had a baby they'll look at you and say 'just wait!'. I don't want to wait for more misery. Leave me to the miseray I have now.

4 comments:

Quack said...

You know, the weird thing is that they might actually want (or at least expect) to hear about the misery when they ask. I always got a surprised, "Really?" when I would say how good I feel (not that you want to hear about how good I feel, but you know, whatever).

~Sara

P.S. I think Tums has something to do with my good feelings these days. I should by stock in Tums.

Jen said...

I guess I ask all the time because although I have faith that this will be a full term, healthy pregnancy, I still hold my breath every time I ask you. I *want* to know that you're feeling pukey or whatever because it means PTB is staying put, doing his job of practicing to make your life more complicated for the next 20 years :)

I'll find a new question though since this one bugs you ;)

Dana said...

Oh girls I wasn't talking about friends. But people I run into at work and such. Or random family members I don't speak too often. They ask then zone out LOL

April said...

So tell us how you really feel. LOL

I know what you mean though. I hated going anywhere in the last few months of my pg when it was obvious I was pg because I got so many questions. Nosey cashiers, little old ladies in Target, I even got weird stares from little kids and I wasn't even that big and I know I wasn't the first pg lady they've seen!!

Don't worry. Tell them something really horrible like. Man, you should see the size of the roids I have or something equally uncomfortable. LOL