Saturday, August 18, 2007

What my husband realize about pregnancy

Having a baby the first time is a learning experience for mom and dad. Mostly mom given she's the one who's body has gone fun house mirror but dad's learning too. Dad's learning curve has the look of a circle though.

When a women is pregnant she's got loads of books, the Girlfriend network and now the Internet to rely on. She'll be given advice some good and some bad. Others who have been there before her will cackle with glee as they disperse advice and dire warnings. While mom might be scared dad will blissfully unaware of most of the inner workings of pregnancy.

This leads me to the things that my husband doesn't realize about pregnancy.

1) I smell everything. The garbage must be changed every day there is no negotiation on that point. The second garbage gets more than 12 hours old I smell it while sitting on the couch in the living room. There must be a can of air spray at all times in the bathroom. The cat box has to be done one time a day at a minimum. I smell dinner before it's cooked now.

2) I am hungry now dammit. I cannot wait. I will not wait. I will eat a bag of rice un cooked right this second I'm so damn hungry. I will not hesitate to go through you to get to food.

3) If I say I have to pee this means at that moment in time. Like hunger, that can't wait.

4) When I have to sleep I have to sleep.

5) I am irrational. Be it my demand that the cats stop walking so loud or my request for gross, greasy, gas station nacho's at 3am. While I'm a big believer in the ideal of personal responsibility it can be hard to control the crazy when it starts. Further I don't know I'm being irrational most of the time.

Don't get my wrong, PtB's dad is great. He tries hard to be there for me and to not get bent out of shape about the crazy I throw around sometimes. I'd hate to give off the impression that he doesn't try. But he's never been good at remembering things like taking the trash out right away or that waiting 2 hours after deciding on dinner before getting it is probably not a great idea. Now that my body has begun to become some foreign place to me those things seem to be more pronounced. The biggest thing in his favor is that he's gives me a lot of rope to run on before he breaks down and wants to know if I'm completely insane.

1 comment:

Jen said...

ROFL! He'll get there...probably about the time you give birth to PtB ;)